Alabama Minutemen
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political Beliefs Discussion

2 posters

Go down

Political Beliefs Discussion Empty Political Beliefs Discussion

Post by navkat Mon May 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Okay, I'm going to take a shot and open a thread devoted to everyone's individual political beliefs. I waver and vary on things and see a lot of gray areas in things and would really appreciate hearing feedback from people that either reinforces or differs from my own.

I am a Left-leaning Libertarian.
I believe that no man has the right to tell another man what he can or can't do with his body, family or property so long as he is not violating or infringing upon the freedoms of another person and he is taking care of his own responsibilities as he must.

I believe we should pay some taxes and that we have a responsibility to help those who can't help themselves, but I also believe that taxation at the current level is extreme and unrepresented.

I believe that government has grown way too big and that The Poeple have forgotten that they're supposed to work for us...not the other way around.

I don't feel that "socialized" is in and of itself a dirty word. A well-armed and benevolent Police force is an example of democratic socialization: we all pay taxes and we receive a necessary service in return that benefits ALL. Schools, are another necessary socialized service. Libraries are another successful model of this.

I truly think healthcare services COULD be executed successfully, but only AFTER we've removed corrupt government, corporate/lobbyist greed and wasteful spending from the equation. I believe these things must be kept in-check, however and policed by The People CONSTANTLY. I believe that if The People say "no" then the answer is NO...even if I think we should or could have universal healthcare. It is not the right of the few to dictate policy for the many.

I believe that the founding fathers of this great nation intended for NO entity, private or public to have too much power over The People. I think people have forgotten that money is power and have turned a blind eye to the fact that lobbyists and corporate interest and holdings are the driving force in government today. Public service was meant to be just that: service. Positions in the Congress or Senate were never intended to be fine vantage points for looking after one's financial interests. The fact that a degree in business and finance is almost the prerequisite for a career in politics is...wrong. The fact that for each member of congress, there are on average 177 lobbyists is also frightening. Companies don't shell out six-figure paychecks for a lobbyist unless the employee is being profitable and achieving the goals of their position. The fact that it's a lucrative industry is a travesty in my eyes.

I believe that you have the right to worship God. I believe that I have the right to not worship if I so choose. I won't force you to stop saying "In God We Trust" if you won't force me TO say it. I'm not offended by your desire to post pictures, pray, recite scripture or use God as your conscience...people in my age group need to grow a thicker skin and let people worship unhindered and uncensored.

I am NOT, however, going to stand for someone violating my Constitutional rights in the name of their God. I wouldn't stand for Muslims telling me that Allah dictates all women must wear a hijab, and I won't accept Church being an integral part of State. Follow your bible for guidance and conscience, but NOT for final legislature and we'll be fine.

I know some of these issues you will disagree with me on...that's why I posted them. I posted things I knew would spark a sportsmanlike debate--not just things I knew would kiss your a$$. I hope to hear your insight and candor. I'd like to learn from people who may have a little more experience with Shinola than I.

So join in! Show me things I might not have considered...or feel free to just go off on a tangent.

navkat

Back to top Go down

Political Beliefs Discussion Empty Re: Political Beliefs Discussion

Post by wardamneagle Tue May 12, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm not quite sure how my beliefs fit in with the usual terms that describe your political out look but if I had to say I would be more of a right leaning libretarian.

Alot of your post I do agree with. I do not believe in any forms or hand outs from the government. I believe that fellow brothers should help each other out... but I also believe it should be a persons choice to help out. I would much rather there be some well off person through charity or a church or any other private organization opens up a soup kitchen for the poor rather than the government paying these same peope with your tax money. if you want to help help on your own accord... don't be forced into helping thru taxation. One of our nations greatest problems with debt is the more socialized systems.. medicare, medicaid, welfare, social security. Alot of these problems could be fixed by

1. The people needing these hand outs make better preperations. I know plenty of people with 24 inch rims on there cars who lose a job and then grab welfare. when instead those 3 thousand dollars could have been placed aside for hard times.
2. Keep the programs but make them much more restrictive on who they can be given to. Some people have an extremely hard time but not everyone who is without work should get unemployment.. you should not get rewarded with more money for having more kids you can't support etc..And a large amont of this problem does come from the African American community specifically the younger generations. ( i live in that generation ). They feel entitled and almost proud to get there free money from the big government... just latch onto the teet and enjoy the ride. But remember it was Dr. Martin Luther King himself who said the African population does not need a handout but instead a hand up.

I also am not a plan of government taking over health care. like your post acknowledged the gov has a way of accomplishing things but in a very very wasteful way. gov regulations have already restricted much of health care services .. other political decisions have made it much more expensive than it should be. ( im sorry but an illegal should not be allowed to deliver her baby in a hospital with me paying the bill sometimes you just have to grow a backbone and say no. ) Look at the one part of medically related field who government has not touched. cosmetic surgery. Since insurances won't cover it etc. it has been a rapidly growing part of health care ... in doing so the procedures have gotten safer and safer and cheaper and cheaper. also since the private sector is allowed to go scott free it has opened the door to tremendous technological leaps, new techniques and surgeries, etc.

I am an extremely firm believer in that the private industry should try and do as much as it can... anything that the private sector does not fill and that is urgently needed than the government can take control as long as it makes economic since and is done so in the most cost effective way possible.

My relgious outtakes are spot on with yours no argument from me there at all.

Abortion likewise... not the governments right to intervene be it moral or not.

2nd amendent rights... follow what the Constitution says and keep your hands off them. ANY restriction on firearms does little to stop crime and instead punishes the law abiding American citizen.

In summary.. Shrink the central government.. allow the private sector to stand on its own... more power to states rights ... follow the Constitution at all times.

wardamneagle

Back to top Go down